This individual will be responsible for implementing universal accessibility compliance (based on WCAG 2.0 AA standards), consulting on instructional design, and crafting training materials to support classroom and online instruction. This position supports on-going professional development to expand your knowledge of analyzing, remediating, and creating new online accessible content.
The Accessibility Coordinator and Learning Design Specialist is a one-year academic specialist appointment with an expectation of a second-year appointment. As an academic specialist, you will work closely with faculty members, graduate students and administrators to provide comprehensive support for teaching and learning programs in the College of Education. You will direct the work of graduate students dedicated to building a culture of accessibility and instructional best practice. You will engage with faculty and graduate instructors to optimize instructional design, educational technology, accessibility, and assessment.
The demands of this job require that you have a combination of skills for teaching and instructional design, project management, and experience ensuring that digital content is accessible. You should be comfortable working with diverse populations and understand dynamics of instruction at the university level. It is required that you:
* Have graduate work in instructional design, instructional technology, education, higher education, or other graduate program related to the job responsibilities
* Can demonstrate experience collaborating with university faculty on instructional and course web design, accessibility, assessment and/or pedagogy
* Understand universal design and/or accessibility/disability issues, including WCAG 2.0 guidelines, University standards, video, and other accessibility related laws and policies
* Can use or understand assistive technologies (e.g., screen-readers, digital learning platforms)
* Experience creating content in a Learning Management System (LMS) like D2L, BlackBoard, etc.
* Understand web design principles and can navigate common HTML and CSS problems
* Have experience in training or mentorship
* Are an excellent communicator
The ideal candidate will have the expertise, dedication, and passion to elevate the university's instructional environment and improve the student experience. We see the following skills and competencies as especially desirable:
* Master’s Degree in instructional design, instructional technology, education, higher education, or other master’s program related to the job responsibilities
* Experience in supervising students and project management
* Are fluent in current and emerging issues in teaching, learning, and assessment
* Experience with computer and assistive technologies; disability practices and procedures
* Experience in the development of learning outcomes and assessment
* Experience creating content in D2L (Desire2Learn)
Required Application Materials
Cover Letter & Resume
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Internal Number: 568276
About Michigan State University
Spartans work every day to advance the common good in uncommon ways.Together, we tackle some of the world?s toughest problems to find solutions that make life better?from alternative energy to better food safety to breakthrough medical and environmental applications achieved through rare isotope research.We teach. We explore and we discover. We collaborate and lead. We innovate, inspire, and empower. We achieve our potential and create circumstances that help our students and others achieve theirs.We're good at it, and we've been at it for more than 150 years.The nation?s pioneer land-grant university, MSU began as a bold experiment that democratized higher education and helped bring science and innovation into everyday life. The revolutionary concept became a model for the nation.Today, MSU is one of the top research universities in the world?on one of the biggest, greenest campuses in the nation. Home to nationally ranked and recognized academic, residential college, and service-learning programs, we?re a diverse community of dedicated students and scholars, athletes and artists, scientists and leaders.In ways both practical and profound, we work to create a stronger, more sustainable, and more hopeful future for all.