We are seeking a dependable and efficient CDL licenses driver who possesses a great deal of physical and mental stamina able to withstand transporting university students in the City of Detroit. Must be organized, detailed oriented, and comfortable working independently. A clean driving record and commercial driving experience is a must.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(1) Fully understand how to operate and safely drive your assigned vehicle (2) Pick-up and safely transport goods, passengers, etc. to intended destination (3) Assist in mapping driving routes (4) Stay on predetermined route and ensure timely transport and delivery (5) Communicate with university as needed (6) Confirm that the awareness of loaded and unloaded passengers (7) Perform inspections of your vehicle prior to and following each trip (8) Check weather conditions and road reports before departure (9) Always ensure your vehicle is kept clean (10) Advise on the maintenance and service vehicle as needed (refuel, change oil, tire pressure, repairs, etc.) (11) Follow delivery schedule and rest at appropriate times (12) Track and report working hours (13) Adhere to company rules and regulations (14) Obey all applicable traffic laws and drive in according to the weather/road conditions (15) Comply with ICC and DOT regulations (16) Make safety a priority at all times (17) All other duties as assigned.
Education (Minimum/Preferred): High school diploma or GED equivalent preferred
• 2+ years proven experience in commercial truck driving preferred • Skilled at driving and parking large, heavy vehicles
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Alert, focused, and detail-oriented • Proficient using GPS and other routing systems • Map reading and route planning experience • An innate sense of direction • Self-starter who works well independently • Disciplined, dependable, and resourceful • High level of composure and good stress management
• Physically and mentally fit • Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. at a time • Possess great physical stamina and focus during long driving shifts
Occasional exposure to objectionable conditions or variations such as those found in variable weather conditions or light industrial settings.
• Valid commercial driver’s license (CDL) required • Clean driving record with no moving violations • Must pass background check and drug test
Open Date: 09/05/2019
Salary/Pay Information: $15.00/hour minimum
Anticipated Schedule: Variable Schedule
About University of Detroit Mercy
Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private university, the University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. The university seeks qualified candidates who will contribute to the University's urban mission, commitment to diversity, and tradition of scholarly excellence. The University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer with a diverse faculty and student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.
Internal Number: PC9972-PG004-2305-1170
About University of Detroit Mercy
The University of Detroit Mercy has one goal - to help our students realize their dreams and ambitions. We fulfill that goal by offering challenging academic programs taught by talented, committed professors and supplemented by hands-on research, co-op, and internship opportunities.