Allied Health - Staff/Administrative, Medical School/Programs, Staff/Administrative
Position Title: Registered Dental Hygienist
Classification Title: FT Administrative Hourly
City/Campus: Detroit - Corktown
Department: Dental Faculty Practice
Position Status: Full Time
The purpose of this position is to provide oral healthcare to School of Dentistry patients as a dental hygienist with the goal of promoting oral health through prevention methods, maintenance, treatment of periodontal disease and patient education.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Position Accountabilities (1) Provide treatment (adult and child prophylaxis, scaling and root planning, periodontal maintenance, fluoride treatments, sealant placement) to children and adults based on dentist’s orders for treatment. Manage patients in a professional manner. (2) Educate all patients in proper oral hygiene techniques with specific oral health aids as necessary to assist in maintaining patients’ good oral health. (3) Record individuals’ health history, take and record vital signs. Complete and record periodontal charting. Complete and record findings from intra- and extra-oral exams. (4) Expose, process, and mount digital radiographs (5) Communicate clearly and effectively with doctors and other staff members regarding patient care and other clinic operation concerns. (6) Assure proper infection control procedures are followed at all times and consistently be OSHA compliant. (7) Assure all treatment rendered is properly and legally documented in the patients’ record. (8) Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Current Michigan Registered Dental Hygiene License. - Associate’s degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; Bachelor’s degree preferred. - Current certification in administering local anesthesia (preferred). - Current CPR/BLS certification.
Minimum 6 months experience practicing clinical dental hygiene in a busy multi-provider dental office.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
(1) Competent dental hygiene skills including experience treating children and individuals with advanced periodontitis.
(2) Advanced knowledge of dentistry.
(3) Knowledgeable of CDT billing codes.
(4) Competent computer skills.
(5) Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
(6) Exceptional customer service skills.
(7) Must be independent, reliable, and self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
(8) Need the ability to focus on areas within the mouth to distinguish healthy vs. non-healthy tissues.
Must have excellent manual dexterity and the ability to move freely throughout the clinic.
Must be able to lift light objects, bend and sit.
Work Environment: Standard dental office with high volume traffic.
(1) Current Registered Dental Hygiene Licensure eligible to practice in the State of Michigan.
(2) Current CPR/BLS certification.
(3) Current local anesthesia certification (preferred).
Open Date: 11/10/2020
Salary/Pay Information: Commensurate with experience
Anticipated Schedule: Monday – Friday, 40 hours between the hours of 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.
About University of Detroit Mercy
Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private university, the University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. The university seeks qualified candidates who will contribute to the University's urban mission, commitment to diversity, and tradition of scholarly excellence. The University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer with a diverse faculty and student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.
Internal Number: AH9978-DH001-0626-1250
About University of Detroit Mercy
The University of Detroit Mercy has one goal - to help our students realize their dreams and ambitions. We fulfill that goal by offering challenging academic programs taught by talented, committed professors and supplemented by hands-on research, co-op, and internship opportunities.